Tuesday 4 October 2016

A Sky Empty of Swallows....and the Hornet's Revenge


Suddenly, the swallows have gone. They were here at the weekend, chattering on the wires and scooping up insects, but now they've all disappeared. The sky is empty of them.


These photos are of 'our' young birds earlier in the summer, when they'd just fledged. They'll now be on their journey south to Africa. Each year I silently wish them well and hope they come back safely. It'll be one of the best moments of next year when they do.

There's a sense here that most of the summer visiting birds have gone. I only wish the wasps and hornets had disappeared by now. They're still around, although maybe not for much longer, because the badgers have largely dug out the wasps' nest by our front gate. The badgers destroyed last year's nest, too - and I've started not to worry too much about the nests when I find them in the ground here. I know that the badgers will get rid of them for me.
Largely dug-out wasps' nest

I don't know if any of our native creatures would destroy an Asian hornets' nest. Fortunately, after the first UK sightings of the Asian hornet in Tetbury, Gloucestershire, a nest has been found and dealt with. That's the good news. The bad news is that today, there are reports that the Asian hornet is now in Somerset. Is it too much to hope that these are the only two locations?

Thankfully, the only hornets I've seen are the European hornets. Their nest is still active in the trunk of a nearby oak. I don't think they're doing very much damage to my bee hives, because I haven't seen them hanging around trying to attack my bees. And it hasn't really been a good year for wasps in my area, unlike last year, when many local beekeepers lost their bee hives to wasp attacks.  I wonder if - this year - the cold spring prevented the queens from establishing their nests.

But - just as I think the wasps and hornets are not bothering me here, they've given me a nasty surprise...

I discovered one in the airing cupboard at the weekend, as I was about to lift up a clean towel. How it found its way in there, when the door is almost always closed, I've no idea. Fortunately, I saw it straight away. I won't think about what might have happened if I hadn't!

22 comments:

  1. Hello!:) Lovely captures of the swallows!:) They have left here too, but we have a Asian Hornets nest on the farm. It is enormous, and will have to be dealt with soon. There have also been other sightings of nests and these unwelcome insects in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not good news that the hornets have spread to where you are and that you even have one on the farm. I've seen the photo of the first nest found in the UK - it does look enormous. I hope you deal with the nest near you OK.

      Delete
  2. Your photos of the swallows are beautiful :-)

    When I was in the garden at the weekend I noticed quite a few wasps, but I would describe them as lazy rather than angry. I think the season was a little to late for them to be very active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - the wasps are becoming drowsy now. I'm no longer worried that they're any threat to my bees.

      Delete
  3. Isn't nature absolutely amazing the way those young Swallows make that huge journey down south to Africa, and then before we know where we are they will be returning again. I recall watching them swooping and diving across the skies on their way here last March in Malta.
    Good job you spotted that hornet in the airing cupboard of all places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The journey these little birds make twice a year never ceases to amaze me. And it doesn't seem that long ago they were arriving here in the spring.
      I feel very lucky I found the hornet before it found me!

      Delete
  4. Always sad to see the swallows go, we wish them a safe journey. Its a real sign of the change in seasons, which I do love but brings on the odd melancholy moment! Love the photos of your young ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the sadness that comes with the change of the year. So many of the birds have gone now, but it's the swallows I miss the most.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos of your swallows, I too hope that they have a safe journey to Africa and back to you next year.
    Just as well that you saw the hornet in your airing cupboard, I dread to think what the consequences might have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't work out how the hornet found its way in the cupboard. It was keeping very quiet in there, so I could have missed it - a horrible thought!

      Delete
  6. We noticed when we were in Norfolk a couple of weekends ago that there were pretty much no swallows about - usually the wires at the campsite are full of them at that point but there were very few this year. Your photos are brilliant - perhaps I need to set myself a challenge to photograph them next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robyn - it's great to hear from you again! That is interesting about the swallows in Norfolk. I wonder why there were so few. We have had lots above us here, but they have all vanished, almost overnight.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful images Wendy. Yes, I will keep my eye on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swallows are beautiful birds, aren't they? I look forward to seeing how your website develops, with all the sightings and photos.

      Delete
  8. Most of our migratory birds have headed south or are readying for the trip. Two days ago a huge skein of large geese or swans flew over very, very high overhead. We could hear their marvelous trumpeting before we could see them. It was spectacular. We also had ten turkey vultures fly low over the house, in a straight line, like a squadron of planes, heading for the shore and, I assume, a migratory group. I love watching the birds congregate for their migration. Wasps, on the other hand ... We have a nest in our attic, grrr and good riddance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bird migration is so amazing; I love the thought of thousands of birds flying overhead - especially at night - following centuries-old routes.
      I'm really no fan of wasps (like most beekeepers I imagine!). I'm quite pleased this year's not been a good year for them.

      Delete
  9. I thought, when I read about the Asian Hornet in Glos, there was no way it was the only one. I suspect they're all over just most people wouldn't recognise them. Glad to hear your bees are OK. We've still got Swallows here, I can't quite believe it. I watched them hunting over the fields this morning. Lovely photos of your babies. I am wishing them well, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a horrible feeling that you may be right about the Asian hornet. They are being found inland, so I wonder if they first established themselves by the coast. Of course they could have been brought in among plants or other goods locally to where they were found. There's always that hope.
      Glad to hear you have swallows still where you are. I do really miss them already!

      Delete
  10. It is always sad to see the swallows depart. You have taken some lovely photos of them earlier in the year :) Time to start looking out for winter visitors - I saw some report of Redwings coming in yesterday - something to look forward too.

    Good to see the badgers doing you a good turn with the wasps' nest but very worrying news indeed about further sightings of the Asian hornet in Somerset. Not seen too many wasps around this year but like you are now starting to find a few that are finding their way indoors :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a report of redwings here too from local birdwatchers. These were on the coast. No sign of them around me here yet, though.
      I always rely on the badgers now to help my bees!

      Delete
  11. Your swallow pics are wonderful! I love the juveniles....bless, it's amazing to think of the journey they're about to undertake isn't it?
    The badgers are certainly doing a good job,they are handy in a tight spot. Glad you didn't get stung! I do hope the Asian hornet doesn't spread......sighs....xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a long journey for birds born just a few weeks before. It has to be nature at it's most amazing.
      The wasps haven't stung me this year "touches wood". I'm occasionally stung by bees but I accept that. I'm really not happy when a wasp stings me, though, probably because I know it will survive to sting again (unlike a bee) but mainly because I don't like them!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave any comments. I do love to read them.