Monday, 3 December 2012

Homemade Irish Whiskey Cream Recipe

I recently came across a recipe (from many years back) for homemade Irish whiskey cream.  I've never made it, but for a Christmas treat I thought I'd give it a go.  I was interested to see whether it was actually worth doing - and to do some comparison with (let's call it) the "leading brand" on taste and cost.

Recipe:

Condensed milk - 400g (14oz)
Whiskey - 240 ml (8fl oz)
3 large eggs
Camp coffee - 2 teaspoons
Double cream - 275 ml (1/2 pint)

NB Add other ingredients, such as chocolate syrup, if you want to experiment with different tastes.

Method:

Simply blend ingredients in a blender.  Then store in the fridge in a sterilised, air tight container.

Is it worth making homemade Irish Whiskey Cream? 

The taste is definitely all there - I loved it.  I made a litre of it and it does work out cheaper to make than to buy.  I could save up to £8 if I'd bought the cheapest bottle of whiskey (or whisky) in the shop - but this wasn't Irish whiskey.  With the Irish whiskey I found available I still make a saving, but just not as much.  (I also had to buy the eggs, as I'm not getting eggs on the smallholding at the moment).

Final verdict: I'll definitely make some more for drinking by the fire at Christmas!

Comparing the two: the homemade drink is on the left

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave any comments. I do love to read them.